New York Personal Injury Law Firm
If you have been injured due to the wrongful acts of another, you should seek help from a personal injury law firm that will tailor its approach to meet your needs. Those needs are, to a great extent, determined by the nature and extent of the injuries you have suffered.
For instance, it will be crucial to seek compensation that covers all of your past medical expenses and ensures that you will be able to pay for all care and treatment that you will need in the future. Additionally, any recovery you seek should reflect your loss of past and future income due to your injuries as well as the pain and suffering you have endured.
The Schlitt Law Firm provides that level of highly personalized service to clients throughout New York City, Long Island and surrounding areas. To learn more about our approach to serving clients, please contact us and arrange for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
As you will see, attorney Carol L. Schlitt will take the time to learn what happened to you and answer all of your questions about the process that lies ahead. You will also receive our Welcome Kit and a series of customized Client Reports that will keep you updated and informed as we move forward in seeking just compensation for you.
Types of Injury Cases Our Law Firm Handles
Attorney Carol L. Schlitt has practiced law for more than 30 years in New York City and Long Island. Over the course of her career, she has obtained numerous significant verdicts and settlements for her personal injury clients.
Her experience allows our legal team to seek compensation on behalf of clients in a wide range of injury cases, including those that involve:
- Fractures – Victims may suffer multiple broken bones in an accident, which may lead to permanent disability or complications such as infections. The severity of the injury often depends on the victim’s age. Older people typically are more affected by fractures than younger people, who may need less time to recover. Some types of fractures may be life-threatening such as hip fractures.
- Scarring and Disfigurement – An accident may leave scars on the face and other areas of one’s body. In some cases, a victim may lose a limb in the accident or as the result of a medical procedure. A recovery for scarring and disfigurement should take into account the emotional harm that a victim suffers.
- Burns – A severe burn can require extensive medical treatment, including compression, debridement, skin grafting and plastic surgery. A burn may also lead to complications that include infections and respiratory problems. The victim may experience emotional trauma as well.
- Soft Tissue Injuries – Damage to tendons, ligaments and muscles are examples of soft tissue injuries. These injuries can result in pain, swelling and loss of mobility. Whiplash, for example, is a type of soft tissue injury in the neck area that can lead to chronic pain.
- Internal Injuries – Broken ribs and damage to the kidney, spleen, liver, bowels or stomach are examples of serious internal injuries. Life-threatening complications can arise due to heavy internal bleeding, or hemorrhaging, when it is caused by an accident.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – A victim may suffer damage to the spinal cord that results in paralysis, or the loss of the ability to move parts of the body. The location of the spinal cord damage will determine whether a victim suffers paraplegia (loss of use of the legs) or quadriplegia (loss of use of both the arms and legs).
- Head and Brain Injuries – Motor vehicle accidents and falls are among the leading causes of traumatic brain injury, or TBI. A TBI victim may suffer permanent impairment of cognitive and motor functions and may also suffer ongoing behavioral issues.
- Emotional Distress – Witnessing or living through a traumatic event can result in one suffering post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. A victim may need to take medication and go through extensive individual and group counseling.
An accident may also result in the loss of a loved one’s life. A recovery may be sought through a wrongful death claim.
What Can You Recover for Your Injuries?
It is important to understand the different types of compensation, or damages, which may be sought in a personal injury claim as the result of the injuries you have suffered due to the fault of another.
One of the most important Client Reports that you will receive from The Schlitt Law Firm will be your Case Assessment. This document will provide you with an analysis of the potential damages in your case.
Among the damages that may be sought are:
- Medical expenses – You should be compensated for all reasonable and necessary medical expenses caused by your injuries, including emergency treatment, surgery, hospitalization, nursing care, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medication. The Schlitt Law Firm will analyze your records to calculate these expenses and will work with highly qualified experts to determine the costs of the care you will need in the future.
- Lost income – You should also be compensated for all income you have lost due to your injuries, including your salary or self-employment income, bonuses, commissions and fringe benefits. We can also consult with experts to determine how your injuries will impact your ability to earn income in the years ahead.
- Pain and suffering – A recovery should take into account the physical pain you may have experienced in an accident through no fault of your own as well as the mental anguish it has caused you. Your loss of enjoyment of life due to your inability to participate in the same activities you enjoyed before your injury should also be factored into your recovery.
- Punitive damages – These damages are not aimed at compensating you for your losses. Instead, they are intended to punish the party who harmed you if they engaged in reckless or intentional misconduct.
Loss of consortium damages may also be sought in a separate, but related, cause of action. These damages are sought by the spouse of one who has been injured. They are aimed at compensating the spouse for damage to the marital relationship, including the loss of a loved one’s services and companionship.
Contact an Injury Attorney Serving New York City and Long Island
At The Schlitt Law Firm, we never forget that we work for you. Throughout your personal injury case, you can count on us to deliver remarkable service and strive for the best possible outcome. We will pay close attention to your needs and seek full and fair compensation for the injuries you have suffered.
Contact us today to get started on your case with a free consultation. We serve clients throughout New York City and Long Island.